During this time of a pandemic, certain precautions are needed.
As a participant in any capacity (athlete, volunteer, coach, Unified partner, family/caregiver, etc.), this is the code of conduct that you are agreeing to by participating in Special Olympics North Carolina to help keep you and and your fellow participants safe:
- If I have COVID-19 symptoms, I will stay at home and NOT go to any activities until 7 days after all of my symptoms are over. If I am exposed to COVID-19 and have no symptoms, I can return 14 days after exposure.
- Special Olympics gave me education on Special Olympics rules for COVID-19 and who is at high-risk.
- I know that if I have a high-risk condition, I have more risk that I could get sick or die from COVID-19. If I have a high-risk condition, I should not go to Special Olympics events in person, until there is little or no Coronavirus in my community.
- I know that before or when I get to a Special Olympics activity, they will ask me some questions about symptoms and exposure to COVID-19. They may also take my temperature. I will answer truthfully and participate fully.
- I will keep at least 6 feet from all participants at all times.
- I will wear a mask at all times while at Special Olympics activities. I may not have to wear it during active exercise.
- I will wash my hands for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer before any activities. I will wash my hands any time I sneeze, cough, go to the bathroom or get my hands dirty.
- I will avoid touching my face. I will cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze and immediately wash my hands after.
- I will not share drinking bottles or towels with other people.
- I will only share equipment when instructed to. If equipment must be shared, I will only touch the equipment if it is disinfected first.
- If I get or have had COVID, I will not go to any in-person Special Olympics events until 7 days after my symptoms end. I will go to my doctor and get written clearance before returning to any sport or fitness activities.
- I understand that if I do not follow all of these rules, I may not be allowed to participate in Special Olympics activities during this time.
Waiver & Release of Liability Assumption of Risk & Indemnification Agreement
In consideration of being allowed to participate in any way in Special Olympics sports training, competition or fundraising activities, the undersigned acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that:
- Participation includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious and/or communicable diseases including but not limited to MRSA, influenza, and COVID-19. While particular rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death does exist; and,
- I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my participation; and,
- I willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions for participation as regards protection against infectious diseases. If, however, I observe any unusual or significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of the nearest official immediately; and,
- I, for myself and on behalf of my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS Special Olympics, Inc, Special Olympics North Carolina officers, officials, agents, and/or employees, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct the event (“RELEASEES”), WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL ILLNESS, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person or property, WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE, to the fullest extent permitted by law.